Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blog 18 (Object Autobiography 1)

Family Cookbook

There is a cook book that my grandma gave my mom. The book was made of recipes compiled by my grandma. The paper is cream colored and held together by plastic comb binding. Some of the pages are coming out of the binding, and the cover is no longer attached to the cookbook. The table of content s is only halfway attached to the binding. The pages of this cook book are now stained with age and ingredients from past dishes that the book aided in. There are little drawings of apples, old stove ovens, and rolling pins on some of the pages. The writing is the neat cursive of my grandma. The ink almost looks blue because it is so old. Each page states the name of the recipe, the section of the book it is under, the person the recipe came from, the ingredients needed, and the process used to make the dish.

This book has seen a lot of holiday moments. Every Christmas my mom pulls out this book and flips to the section on Christmas cookies. We would make Pfeffernussen, Russian Tea Cakes, White Roll Out Cookies, Springerle, Lebkuchen, and Gingerbread panels for the Gingerbread house. Then she’ll send my sisters and me around to gather the ingredients from the cabinets while she pulls out bowls, measuring cups, rolling pins, and any other kitchen item needed to make the cookies. I can remember watching my moms hands work as she kneads and rolls out the dough for Pfeffernussen cookies. Then she would cut them into strips and then cut those strips into little sections. While she would do this I would look the strange name of this delicious cookie in the cookbook. The cookbook reads:
Pfeffernussen , A German Tea Cookie
Recipe Curtesy of Grandma Grotelueschen.


My mom would always drag out the cookbook even though it seemed like she knew the recipes by heart. This cookbook which I can remember so well will some day pass to my sister Alex, mainly because I suck at cooking, which is why I only helped.

No comments: