Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blog Post 2 (The Diagram)

The diagram is depicting the morphology of a human cell. All of the major parts of the cell are labeled and the diagram even includes a short description of the purpose of each organelle. I prefer diagrams that give a short description of the content, because they give you background on their subject without the reader having to research the subject. I like the diagram because it is visually stimulating. The diagram is 3-D and colorful so it catches the viewer’s interest. The diagram is easy to read, which is how I believe a diagram should be.

This diagram, which I found on yahoo images, would be a good visual aide in biology or anatomy when the cells are discussed. It always amazes me that something so small can make things so big. I guess the letters would be the cells of an essay. The words would be the tissues, the sentences would be the organs, and the paragraphs would be the organ systems of an essay. The essay needs them all to function.

I believe that this diagram was originally used as a descriptive tool to teach students about cells. By placing this cell diagram on my blog I am using it as the subject matter of my blog discussing a diagram. The purpose of the diagram is no longer to teach something, but more to provide a topic by sitting on the page.

In Kitty Burns Florey’s essay Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog, Florey says that “The diagram was a bit like art, a bit like mathematics.”(p.2) I think the diagram falls under more than one category. It can be artsy and some of the better diagrams show some art to add visual aide to the subject. A diagram can also be a type of organized writing. The subject matter must be organized in a presentable way and incorporated with the visual display.

(313)

No comments: