Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blog Post 4


I found this photograph in Yahoo Images. It is a picture of a sidewalk chalk image. The image looks 3-D, but is only chalk. The chalk drawing is of angels playing instruments and messing around in a pool of water. It looks as if you could step into the pool with the angels.


I like this image because in the focus is the chalk drawing but in the background you can see people looking at the drawing or going about their everyday lives in the town it was drawn in. The chalk drawing really seems to go with what I can see of the city. The city appears to be old maybe even European and the drawing looks like something you’d see in renaissance paintings, so they both seem to have a sense of age.

There are three angels in the chalk drawing but my eyes tend to be drawn to the one sitting on the edge of the pool playing a musical instrument that looks similar to a violin. The pool is a bright pastel blue and the angels are in the sunlight frolicking in the water. But one edge of the pool is in shadow and part of the angel that my eyes are drawn to is in shadow. I think it is the size and contrast that attract my eyes to this angel.

I think this picture was taken at a different time of day than the artist drew the chalk image because the sun in the image is beating down from the right creating shadows on the left, while the sun in real life is beating down on the man in the black suit from the left creating an shadow on the right. I wonder if it took this long for the drawing to be created or if the photographer just took the picture later. I’d imagine art like this would take a while. It is a shame it will be erased as people walk over it or if the weather changes.

(336)


No comments: